Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Do you miss your mommy's mangos?

My mother was horrified when she heard my children repeating the line from RANGO "Do you miss your mommy's mangos?". She knew what it meant . . .we all did. But my children did not and it was a story about an exotic lizard that probably did eat mangos and had no exposure to mammary glands. However, my husband grew up with a mango tree in his grandmother's yard. He did miss his mommy's mangos sometimes. He probably missed her boobies too since he was breast fed until he was 6. Mangos, mothers milk  . . . why wouldn't I think to make ice cream.

This is my family’s favorite thing right now and one of the easiest things to make. All you need is an ice cream maker and some fresh mangos.
The key is to make sure the mangoes are really really ripe. If they are not then it can be stringy and tart . . . just not what a mango ice cream should be.

Mango Ice Cream
 4 cups of ripe mango meat(about 3 mangos)
2 tsp cornstarch
2  -13 oz can of coconut milk ( use full fat . .  I am vegan and need my full fat)
¾ cup agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla
1.       Put mangos  in a food processor and mix until smooth. If any of the mangos seem stringy or not ripe enough then run through a sieve or wire strainer.
2.       Mix that with the cornstarch and let sit for 10 minutes (no clumps)
3.       Mix fruit with the rest of ingredients and chill in the fridge for a few hours.
4.       Follow the instructions of the ice cream maker or place in popsicle molds.
5.       Freeze and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment