Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tofu Tuesday 8/30

Okay so I missed the Meatless Monday to post my menue this week. Shame on me.  In my defense my daughter started Kindergarten. I was the mom who sent my daughter to school in spaghetti straps and flip-flops. I was was late picking her up and this morning we lost her name tag.

Deep Breath . . .Pull It Together

But even with all the insanity I was able to make my family dinner . . . a healthy, beautiful dinner. 
For Dinner This Week
Smoky Hot Pot of Great Northern Beans
Pizza Night!! - This is my favorite night and I will be takingt he time to discuss how important pizza night is to get children to eat their veggies.

Lunch
Pinto  Bean Quesadillas
Tahini Coleslaw Wraps

Breakfast

Snacks
Green bean Pakoras


Hot Pot of Great Northen Beans

1 cup of dried great northern beans
rinse and soak for at least 6 hours. Drain and place in a large saucepan with enough room to have the beans covered with water. Boil for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2 Tbl olive oil
1 large onion -diced
2 garlic cloves -chopped
1 clery rib -diced
1 carrot -diced
2 medium potatoes -diced
2 fire roasted anaheim peppers How does one roast a pepper?
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
2 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper
1. heat the oil in a saucepan on medium high heat and add the onion and  garlic. Cook for 2 miutes
2. Add in cleery and carrot and saute for another 2 minutes.
3.Add peppers and sautee for 2 minutes
4. Add in potoatoes and stir . . .cook for 4-5 minutes. Lower to medium heat
5. Add in beans paprika and liquid smoke. stir in until everything has been coated.
6. Once potatoes have softened a little and get some browning ont he outside add the stock and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
7. Add salt and pepper to tast and eat with crusty bread
8. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. been wondering -- where do you buy liquid smoke?

    ReplyDelete